One line in enumeration – one telecore container dpc
Interview of Vyacheslav Shubin, Technical Director of the 'TeleCore' LLC, for 'DSPCs.RF' magazine (Issue No. 24/25) about the development of the first Container DPC, successes the company has managed to achieve during this time, and plans for the future.
- The 'TeleCore' company is known in the Russian market as a manufacturer of industrial integrated engineering solutions for communication systems infrastructure, security, Automated Process Control Systems, and metrology. How did the idea emerge to create container DSPC?
- In the mid-2000s, the trend of container DSPC began to actively develop, Western manufacturers began to develop a new market, similar requests began to appear more often in Russia. In 2008, such a need arose in Dixy company, we developed and supplied to them our first container DSPC. But, since the container data center is a very specific solution with a very limited number of potential customers, we also began to develop other related lines. We were developing complex engineering solutions for communications, security, Automated Process Control Systems, metrology, energy sector, etc. Of course, any idea in creating a product is generated by the customer needs and its limitations. For example, the lack of vacant space in the case of Dixie resulted in the problem of placing the data center in the parking lot and being able to transport it to the new location within a relevant time period. Another advantage of container DSPC in that it is always faster, so there is no need to carry out work on the design, coordination, being subject to expert examination, as is the case with capital construction. For instance, if a large integrator enters the production site for nine months and during this period he will have to constantly deal with dozens of different contractors, the process of data center creation becomes a rather difficult task. It is much easier to place an order, and in three months a container will be placed in the courtyard. Basically, any smooth surface capable of withstanding the container DSPC distributed load and equipment placed inside it, is suitable for installation – it can be an asphalt surface or a concrete pad. Another important point in using container DSPC is that we deliver a complete and pre-assembled production solution with a guarantee for the product as a whole, and not for a part of any of its systems.
– Does the 'TeleCore' have a specific model range of container DSPC or each solution is customized?
– We do not use a ready-made container structural element, each solution is created subject to tasks to be performed: the number of racks, power, redundancy, climate placement zone and other requirements. First, the layout is drawn, and a container is created around the arranged equipment. Thus, the container is secondary in this regard. This is one of our key advantages, as we proceed from the layout and customer requirements.
– How did the company's decisions evolve over this period?
– It depends on how deeply we have to go down to the issue. Much has changed. First of all, the most important thing in such products is the temperature range, and in which region it can be installed and effectively operated. Our first container DSPC worked in the range from -35 to +40 ̊C, now our solutions can easily work in the range from -50 to +50 ̊C degrees, covering almost every corner of this country. We increased the power per rack from 5–8 to 15 kW, removed all sorts of local overheating zones, this is quite a serious problem for many container DSPC. Of course, like any new product, it had its own 'childhood diseases' with which we coped successfully. We also implemented a meaningful monitoring system. From 2016, we began to pay more attention to aesthetic performance and ergonomics. We implement container DSPC appearance in the corporate customer colors. Of course, now we are not running in place either, we expect much from immersion cooling and implement our developments. The modular DSPC is a promising line, where solutions are combined into one large room.
– Do you chiefly rely on your own engineering and production base while creating container DSPC? What third-party systems do you use (air conditioners, UPS) and what is the bias for suppliers selecting?
– A step towards import substitution was made in early 2015, after the well-known events with regard to the Crimean peninsula. We conducted an analysis of the entire range of our products, not only in the context of the DSPC, but other containers we produce as well, and selected Russian analogs. Now, when time has passed, we can easier see in what areas import substitution was not possible: first of all, air conditioners, it has partially been possible to substitute the UPS. If we talk about the main switchboards, about half of the power unit are imported components: automatic breakers, relays, etc. In the lead-in group of Automatic Standby Initiation, knife switches with motor drives are also not Russian-made. As for the rest of products, we switched to domestic production: cables, trays, fans, heaters, luminaries. Racks and cabinets are, as usual, of domestic manufacture. On the whole, it can be said that it is quite realistic to choose Russian-made component base complying with price and quality standards.
– What are unique advantages of the 'TeleCore' container DSPC over competitors?
– I have already said earlier, our most important competitive advantage in that we work immediately with the customer. We have our own design bureau, our own plant, that is, all the possibilities and resources to implement a product, which is required by our customer. If we go down to the technical details, according to our estimates, we are the only company that can offer the implementation of container DSPC with a docked DGU section, but physically it will be one container. When the container DSPC is made as per ISO dimensions, it is 2.5 meters wide, and when placing the server rack across the container, it becomes difficult to access it from the mounting side. We have developed a rack on a special sliding mechanism with additional fans, a system that allows to eliminate local overheating and get the most convenient way of access from all sides to equipment located in the cabinet. Standard cabinets for data centers are not designed to move around a DSPC with equipment, and as a result of dynamic loads, the rack begins to swell. We have our own Automated Dispatch Management System (ADMS), which is supplied together with our solution. This system allows to remotely control the utility infrastructure in DSPC. The distinctive advantage of our container DSPC is a comprehensive warranty. First of all, it’s important that the customer buys it virtually using one line and from the first seller. All questions should be referred to us. If we provide a two- or three-year warranty, then this applies to all equipment installed inside the container DSPC. In addition, our team is ready to solve comprehensive tasks. We are able to implement solutions based on the functional requirements for selection of application software, the northern and engineering infrastructure.
– Please, tell us about the implemented container DSPC projects by the 'TeleCore'. We are particularly interested in systems designed to work in extreme conditions.
– For ten years we have assembled and supplied more than 75 container DSPCs, and with respect to the container -type control rooms, we produce more than 300 units of such solutions per year. The northernmost point where our container DSPC was located is Noyabrsk, Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous Okrug; the easternmost – in Tomsk; the southernmost – in Stavropol. As for the approaches to creating climatic zones solutions with extremely high temperatures, in this case there are no secrets either. It is necessary to lay a reserve on the power of the air conditioning system, because in the heat the performance of the cooling system decreases which can cause overheating of the system. With negative temperatures it is more difficult: in extreme cold the air conditioner may simply not turn on. For this purpose, we set up all automation in such a way that when the prelimit temperatures are reached, the system would fully turn on and work without stopping. We have been working with the oil industry for quite a long time. Basically, all our solutions are used in areas with large negative temperatures, therefore, with regard to northern latitudes, our products are designed to be maximally fit for operation in such climatic zones. Door casings, locks and seals are heated. The construction uses a full-fledged sandwich, all cold bridges are extremely minimized. Thus, we obtain a container in a container that functions reliably both in extreme heat and in severe frost.
– Are you planning to develop the model range of the 'TeleCore' container DSPC? If so, what is the development direction?
– Its hard to say. For ten years, we have perfected our container DSPC solutions virtually to maximum. Currently, we are monitoring the server equipment further development. For example, last year there was a fever with cryptocurrencies. Naturally, we could not stand aside and developed several containers. Two versions have been developed globally using outside air for cooling. The first version is simpler, designed for a moderate climate – up to -18 degrees, the second one – for the Siberian regions, where the temperature can drop to -41 and rise to +40, the mixing chamber is used. In one such container can host miners with total power of 1.14 MW. Now we have developed solutions for almost all popular miners.